This week, Sony updated its 70-200mm F2.8 lens, Nikon released a new DX lens and a second teaser trailer for the flagship Z9, while Fujifilm released a firmware update for the X-S10. Oh, and there is a Samyang 24-70mm F2.8 for Sony E-mount, but only in Thailand.
Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
For the first time, Sony has updated one of its full frame lenses designed for mirrorless cameras. The 70-200mm F2.8 replaces the original version, and it’s not a minor upgrade but a complete redesign. While the dimensions remain the same, there are all-new optical elements, a new focus motor, the weight is reduced by 30% (435g less) and there are extra switches along with the addition of an aperture ring. The price is $2800.
Main specs of the Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II:
- 17 elements in 14 groups
- 1 extreme aspherical (XA), 1 aspherical, 1 ED aspherical, 2 Super ED, 2 ED elements
- Nano AR coating II
- XD Linear Motors
- 11 aperture blades
- Min. focus: 40cm (70mm) / 82cm (200mm)
- aperture ring can be clicking or smooth
- Full Time DMF switch (make the focus ring operational even with C-AF)
- Focus limiter switch
- OSS mode switch
- 77mm filter thread
- Weather sealed
- Compatible with 1.4x and 2x TC
Nikon Z DX 18-140mm F3.5-6.3 VR
The 18-140mm is the third lens designed for Nikon APS-C mirrorless cameras. It has an equivalent of 27-210mm (35mm format), making it the classic all-rounder zoom lens. It will be available in November for $600.
Main specs of the Nikon Z DX 18-140mm F3.5-6.3 VR:
- 17 elements in 13 groups
- 2 aspherical and 2 extra-low dispersion (ED) elements
- Aperture blades: 7
- Min. focus: 20cm (wide) and 40cm (tele)
- VR (optical stabilisation) with 5 stops rating
- Stepping motor AF
- Control ring (customisable)
- Filter thread: 62mm
- Compact and lightweight (315g)
- Dust and drip resistant
Nikon Z9 Teaser Video #2
Nikon continues to release one video a week about its new flagship Z9. This one reveals more about the body design and capabilities. In the second clip, the company seems to make it clear that the Z9 will be capable of unlimited 8K/30p recording.
Samyang / Rokinon AF 24-70mm F2.8 FE
Here is something interesting. This is Samyang’s first ever zoom lens, if my memory serves me well, and it’s an attractive proposition: a standard F2.8 constant aperture zoom that costs less than the Sony GM version and competes with the Tamron and Sigma offering.
Even more interesting, the lens has a parfocal design, meaning that once the focus point has been set, it won’t change when varying the focal length, something that is especially useful for video-makers.
- 17 elements / 14 groups
- 2 aspherical, 3 high-refractive, 3 extra-low dispersion and 1 HB elements
- 9-blade aperture diaphragm
- Linear stepping motor (STM) AF
- Min. focusing: 35cm
- 82mm filter thread
- Customisable focus ring
For now, the lens is only being sold in Thailand, for the equivalent of $900 US. Dpreview hopes to get more information soon, as I think we all do!
Pergear 10mm F5.6 Fisheye
Another cheap manual focus lens, very cheap actually because you can get it for $90. It’s a super wide angle lens designed for APS-C sensors (15mm equivalent) by Pergear, and it’s very compact too.
- 6 elements in 4 groups
- Multi-layer coating on the front element
- 15cm minimum focusing
- metal build
- built-in metal hood
- For Fujifilm X-mount, Micro Four Thirds and Sony E-mount
Fujifilm X-S10 Firmware Update
Version 2.10 brings the following:
- compatibility with Instax Mini Link and Instax Link WIDE printers
- improvement for the electronic level, which now works at more angle ranges
- minor bugs resolved
You can download the new firmware from the Fujifilm website.